Matthew P. Lawlyes
Matthew is an experienced civil litigator practicing in a variety of areas. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of Minnesota, where he served as managing director of the Maynard Pirsig Moot Court and competed on the American Bar Association negotiation team.
After law school, Matthew served as coverage counsel to insurance companies, where he handled environmental, construction, personal injury, and general business liability coverage matters. Most recently, Matthew represented plaintiffs in areas of civil rights, employment, real estate, construction, personal injury, immigration appeals, and insurance coverage litigation.
Represented farm owner in multi-million dollar bad faith insurance coverage dispute arising out of the destruction of farm and personal property.
Represented insurer in a multi-million dollar insurance coverage dispute arising out of the exposure to asbestos of hundreds of workers over the course of several decades.
Obtained favorable verdict for property owner arising out of a properly executed but improperly handled real estate purchase agreement and subsequently failed sale.
Obtained summary judgment against the United States on behalf of a resident alien arising out of the federal government’s wrongful delay and denial of an application to adjust status from permanent resident to United States citizen.
Represented numerous aggrieved parties in claims against the parties’ former attorneys arising out of the attorneys’ failures to provide proper legal representation.
Represented employee in an action against their former employer arising out of the employer’s failure to protect the employee from the repeated acts of sexual assault by a co-worker.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- University of Illinois – Springfield B.A., magna cum laude, 2011
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- General Liability and Civil Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Construction Law
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Professional Liability
- Errors and Omissions
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Litigation
- Emerging Contaminant / Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Contamination and Exposure Litigation
Awards and Honors:
- Named to Rising Stars® list in 2021-2022.